Loose Motion Treatment in Coimbatore
ELCE Hospitals provides Gastro- enteritis or loose motion treatment in Coimbatore. Gastro- enteritis is a commonly seen condition in the developing countries around the globe. Its seriousness can be gauged from the fact that despite all medical advances , it remains one of the major causes of mortality in children next only to respiratory infections.
It affects both adults and children, but is more severe and may even need hospitalization in the pediatric age group.
Gastro-enteritis is infection of the stomach and intestines. This can cause symptoms ranging from mild to severe diarrhea,vomiting,cramps. A virus, bacterium, or parasite can cause gastroenteritis. The most common cause is viral. Certain medical conditions such as IBD also present initially as diarrhea.
Best Loose Motion Treatment in Coimbatore
VIRAL: A number of viruses can cause gastroenteritis and they account for most common cause . In most cases, you get infected with the virus from contaminated food or water, also through person-to-person transmission which is possible and also leads to loose motion treatment in Coimbatore.
- Norovirus : the most common cause of food borne illness worldwide. Norovirus infection can cause large number of causes especially during rainy season. It’s mainly to spread among the people in confined spaces.
- Rotavirus: Worldwide, this would be the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in children, who are usually pick up the virus when they put their fingers on other contaminated objects with the virus then into their mouths. The contamination is very severe in infants and young children. Adults infected with rotavirus may not have any symptoms
Bacterial: bacterial gastroenteritis is much less common than viral cause
Common bacteria include –
- E. coli
Parasites – Amoeba: Amoebas infection of colon is one of the causes of chronic diarrhea in India. The fact that parasites can get lodged and reproduce in intestine means that patient continues to have symptoms and sheds parasite for a long term leading to gradual loss of weight and poor health and they are pushed to get loose motion treatment in Coimbatore.
Top Hospital for Loose Motion Treatment in Coimbatore:
Loose stools/ Diarrhea – loose watery stools Are the most common symptom
- Fever (in bacterial GE)
- Abdomen cramping and pain
- Diarrhea, possibly bloody
- Electrolyte imbalance
If the patient fails to take loose motion treatment in Coimbatore and as the severity increases patients start losing vital electrolytes like sodium, potassium. Once severe potassium loss occurs, systemic effects start like hypo tension, myalgia, dizziness, even severe cases lead to eventual renal failure and death especially in young infants.
Course of Disease:
Acute gastroenteritis is defined by loose or watery diarrhea that consists of 3 or more bowel movements in a day. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, or abdominal crampy pain . Symptoms usually last for less than a week, most often improving after 1 to 3 days.
Most Effective Loose Motion Treatment in Coimbatore:
Viral Gastro-enteritis is mostly a Clinical diagnosis only.
Blood counts are taken to look for leucocytosis, Haemoconcentration
Serum electrolytes done in severe cases to look for low Potassium levels for correction
Only severe and chronic cases need hospitalization for loose motion treatment in Coimbatore and other tests such as stool routine,
Ct Abdomen – taken in severe cases to rule out any other organic cause such as infection of other organs, abscess etc leading to diarrhea.
The treatment of gastroenteritis is entirely based on symptomatic support
- -to maintain hydration status and effectively replenish fluid and electrolyte losses. ORS solution (Electrol sachets in 200 ml water) is a fundamental part of treatment. Intravenous fluids may be administered to those individuals who have profuse diarrhea and are dehydrated or to those unable to tolerate oral fluids.
- Antiemetic medications such as ondansetron or metoclopramide may be used to control nausea and vomiting symptoms. Patients having severe dehydration or intractable vomiting requires hospital admission for continued intravenous fluids and careful monitoring of electrolyte status.
- if a patient can maintain a well-hydrated status, antibiotic treatment should not be initiated. Antibiotics are needed only for severe causes of bacterial gastro-enteritis.
- Antibiotics – are used only in severe patients requiring hospitalization for loose motion treatment in Coimbatore.
Leading Hospital for Loose Motion Treatment in Coimbatore:
For infants and children:
The signs of severity in children needing monitoring is
- The first sign is the child has a fever with temperature level of 102 F (38.9 C) or higher
- Seems lethargic or very irritable
- Is in a lot of discomfort or pain
- Has bloody diarrhea
- Child gets dehydrated where the dehydration in sick infants and children by comparing how much they drink and urinate with how much is normal for them .
- Is unable to take food or liquids orally
Loose Motion treatment in Coimbatore:
Diarrhea in children-Treatment
WHO accepted ORS in 1978 as its primary solution to fight diarrhea, the mortality rate for children suffering from acute diarrhea has fallen from 5 million to 1.3 million deaths annually.
The composition of the new, reduced osmolarity ORS sachet , as recommended by WHO, is as follows:
• Sodium chloride—2.6 g
• Glucose (anhydrous)—13.5 g
• Potassium chloride—1.5 g
• Trisodium citrate dehydrate—2.9 g
The new ORS was launched by WHO in January 2004 and in India in June 2004.
Dissolve the sachet in 1L of drinking water and to be given to child as much as child is able to drink. In infants, give 5 tsp every half an hour and then increase slowly.
This has been demonstrated to reduce the need for hospitalization, need for IV therapy by more than 30%.
When a child gets symptoms of severe dehydration, he must be promptly taken for medical care and hospitalisation for loose motion treatment in Coimbatore if needed to prevent secondary infections .
Medical conditions presenting as chronic diarrhea in adults:
Few bowel diseases in adults present as chronic diarrhea but these are quite rare such as IBD, proctitis, colitis,Enteropathies , coeliac sprue, Crohns Disease.
These are not common causes and need detailed evaluation and colonoscopy .
IBD , colonoscopy have been explained in a detail manner in our previous blog on IBD, Colonoscopy.
Wash your hands thoroughly. And teach hand washing with soap to children. Teach your children to wash hands regularly, especially after using the toilet. It’s always good to use warm water and soap, rubbing hands vigorously for at least 20 seconds.
Avoiding Certain Foods and Substances Stay away from caffeine; alcohol; dairy products; and fatty, sugary, or spicy foods until you start to feel better.
Drink only boiled water: especially during rainy season and while travelling. Children should be given proper boiled and cooled water only.
Staying Hydrated .Boiled water, ORS solution, fruit juices in small quantities help in replenishing lost nutrients.
Zinc supplements– as syrup or tablet forms
Gastro-enteritis is a common problem and careful preventive measures are the effective line of defense. Proper hand washing , well cooked meals, boiled water are the best ways to prevent bowel infections and to maintain overall healthy habits. If anyone fails to undertake these preventive measures they are moved to severity in the problem that leads to hospitalization for loose motion treatment in Coimbatore.
The above points needs to be stressed for young families/mothers with infants, young children and shall go a long way in keeping a family healthy and safe.