Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore
CONSTIPATION – CAUSES AND TREATMENT:
ELCE Hospitals provide the Best Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore. A healthy Gastrointestinal system means the functions of good appetite (good food intake), digestion (healthy stomach and small bowel) and excretion (healthy large bowel) is occurring normally. Any imbalance in the above leads to diseases or sickness.
Top Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore
Constipation Definition :
Bowel habits of individuals vary widely depending on dietary patterns, age, physical activity, etc.
Constipation is defined as
Any of the following symptoms present for more than 12 weeks :
– Passing < 3 bowel movements per week
– Straining >1/4 of defecation;
– Lumpy or hard stools > 1/4 of defecations;
Several people pass stools once in two days which is normal when it becomes less than 3 movements per week its called constipation. We provide complete Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore.
Symptoms in addition to constipation, patients may complain of one or more of the following:
- Abdominal bloating
- Pain on defecation
- Rectal bleeding
- Low back pain
Causes Before Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore:
Causes of Chronic Constipation :
A most common cause is Old Age (Functional constipation)
Diabetes ( causing autonomic nerve weakness)
Chronic Medical problems
Problems with the nerves around the colon and rectum such as
- Damage to the nerves that control the motility of bowel and rectum (autonomic neuropathy)
- Stroke and chronically bedridden patients
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal cord injury
Conditions that affect hormones in the body
Diabetes, Thyroid disorders ( Hypothyroidism ), Pregnancy, etc
Strictures due to Tb, IBD, etc
Weakness or Dyssynergy of pelvic muscles that are involved in contraction and relaxation of bowel movements,
pelvic floor muscle weakness due to old age etc needs Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore.
Medications causing constipation- tablets for mental disorders like anti-depressants etc, Antihypertensive medication like Calcium channel blockers group, anticonvulsants—used to prevent seizures, Narcotic pain medications, Iron tablets, etc
B) obstructive causes- Colon malignancy, Recto-sigmoid growth
Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore After Diagnosis
Examination and evaluation is performed on an outpatient basis and usually done when diet changes and other methods have failed
- Per rectal examination – to diagnose any chronic anal fissures causing spasm and obstruction.
- Lab tests – Blood tests include complete blood count, RBS and urea, creatinine, Thyroid function tests to rule out chronic medical conditions, diabetes, thyroid disorders, renal failure.
- Imaging studies – to look for obstructive causes and Contrast CT scans if there is a strong suspicion of the obstructive cause of constipation
- Colonoscopy- Single most important test to be done and examines the entire large bowel
- Anorectal manometry, balloon expulsion testing – for motility study
Patients with these defects and causes need immediate Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore.
acolonoscope, a stretchable, 1/2-inch in diameter tubular endoscopic instrument which transmits an image of the lining of the colon so the doctor can examine it for any abnormalities. The colonoscope is injected through the rectum and moved to the other end of the large intestine.
It’s an outpatient procedure. The patient is given laxatives and bowel is prepared first. Then colonoscopy is done and the images seen on a monitor. Any abnormality like nodules or polyps are seen and biopsy can be done via the scope itself. Polyps can also be excised using instruments done via scopy and so its therepauticalso.
The colonoscope can visualize the entire large bowel and the terminal ileum also.
Colonoscopy Procedure for Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore
The risk factors causing constipation need to be corrected –
eating enough fiber-rich food such as fruits, vegetables
drinking enough liquids, or dehydration
getting enough physical activity
Correction of diabetes and good control of sugars
Improper diet habits correction
Stopping the intake of medications if causing severe constipation
A healthy diet containing high-fiber (typically 15 to 20 g/day) to ensure adequate stool bulk. Vegetable fiber, green leafy vegetables which is largely indigestible and unabsorbable, increases stool bulk. Similarly, some components of fiber also intake fluid, making stools softer and facilitating their passage. Fruits and vegetables are good sources, as are cereals containing bran.
Behavioral changes may help. Patients should maintain regular toilet habits at the same time daily, avoid holding stools for a long time. If anyone fails to intake fiber-rich food will definitely suffer from constipation and need Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore.
Medical management :
- Bulk-forming agents (eg, psyllium, methylcellulose).They lead to forming a softer and bulkier stool
- Osmotic agents -contain polymers that stay in the bowel, increasing intraluminal osmotic pressure and thereby intakes water into intestines and aid in soft stool formation.
- Secretory agents:bisacodyl, anthraquinones, castor oil. These tablets are usually taken as night dose and directly stimulate bowel movement
- Enemas and suppositories: Used more in hospital setups and for resistant patients or bedridden patients
- Newer Therapies
- Prucalopride for chronic constipation
Best Constipation Treatment for Bowel Obstruction
BOWEL OBSTRUCTION CAUSING CONSTIPATION:
This is a rare cause that needs to be ruled out primarily before starting treatment in elderly patients. Rarely the cause might be obstruction such as
Bowel Malignancy, Recto-sigmoid neoplasm, Strictures.
Colonoscopy and CT scan is diagnostic. The management is entirely different for each cause and needs full work-up and hospitalization
Emergency management – Colonic Metal Stenting is done
Surgery is indicated in patients with obstructive causes
Complications of severe constipation:
- Colonic dilatation
- Fecal impaction
Thus overall good diet habits, physical activity, and healthy lifestyle habits go a long way in preventing the occurrence in the first place. Constipation is seen commonly and needs to be managed and corrected properly to prevent complications and to ensure the overall health of the individual.ELCE Hospital provides the promising Constipation Treatment in Coimbatore that will help you to recover from defect immediately.